We will create a waterway that is a source of pride now and forgenerations to come. The Bedford & Milton Keynes Waterway (the B&MK for short) will provide a green corridor at the heart of new developments in the area, linking communities and creating a unique sense of identity and place. It is a Waterway for All – serving local people and enhancing the local environment, and at the same time connecting the Fenland waterways with the main canal network.
When built, this new 26 kilometre Waterway – the first major new-build waterway this century – will bring huge benefits right across the region:
- fun for everybody, whatever their interests, age and physical ability
- a more varied and attractive urban environment
- new places for walking, cycling, boating and fishing
- new homes and business buildings in attractive waterside locations
- new leisure and tourism jobs
- new wildlife habitats
- an uplift in property values
- a new channel for water supply and drainage
- providing a broad beam boat route from the Severn to the Wash
- a new Fenland cruising ring and more cruising opportunities.
The Waterway is designed to be a broad canal that can accommodate a wide range of boats on the water and different users on paths beside it.
Because we can design a canal for a variety of uses at the outset, rather than trying to squeeze a variety of uses into a space designed 200 years ago for freight, we have a unique opportunity to apply blue skies thinking to the development of waterways for the future.
The B&MK Waterway will be a prime example of the best in 21st century engineering, landscaping and design – a truly sustainable development.